Grilling chicken in the microwave might sound unorthodox to some, but the truth is, cooking chicken this way can be incredibly tasty and simple! With a few microwave-safe utensils, you can quickly and easily turn some raw chicken into savoury grilled goodness in no time.
Whether you want to spice up workweek lunches or make a quick weeknight meal, grilling chicken in the microwave is ideal for anyone who loves flavour without committing to hours spent in the kitchen. So let’s start making all your favourite grilled chicken recipes from your microwave!
What Type of Chicken Pieces Can Be Grilled?
While a microwave oven may not be the ideal method for grilling chicken, certain types of chicken pieces can be cooked in microwave grill mode. Here are a few options:
- Chicken breasts: Chicken breasts are a popular choice for grilling as they cook quickly and can be easily flavoured with marinades or spices. Ensuring the chicken is evenly sliced to ensure uniform cooking is important.
- Chicken thighs: Chicken thighs are also a great option for grilling as they are juicy and flavorful. It’s best to remove the skin before cooking to avoid grease splatters in the microwave.
- Chicken drumsticks: Chicken drumsticks can also be grilled in a microwave oven. It’s best to pierce the skin with a fork to allow the heat to penetrate evenly and avoid any moisture build-up.
- Chicken wings: Chicken wings can be grilled in a microwave oven by seasoning them with spices or a marinade and cooking them on high heat for 6-8 minutes per side.
It’s important to note that grilling chicken in a microwave oven may result in a different texture than traditional grilling methods. Additionally, it’s crucial to ensure that the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F to prevent any foodborne illnesses.
Tips and Tricks
Grilling in a microwave oven may not be as popular as traditional grilling methods, but it can be a convenient option for those who don’t have access to an outdoor grill. Here are a few tips and tricks to make the most out of grilling in a microwave oven:
- Use a microwave-safe grill pan: Invest in a grill pan that’s specifically designed for microwave use. These pans usually have ridges to create grill marks and allow excess grease to drain away.
- Preheat the grill: Preheat the pan in the microwave for a few minutes before placing the chicken on it. This will help create a seared crust and prevent sticking.
- Season the chicken: Season the chicken with your favourite herbs and spices to add flavour. You can also marinate the chicken for a few hours before grilling for an extra flavour boost.
- Use high heat: Use the high heat setting on the microwave to ensure the chicken cooks quickly and evenly. Keep an eye on the chicken while cooking to prevent it from burning.
- Flip the chicken halfway through the cooking time to ensure it’s cooked evenly on both sides.
- Let it rest: Let the chicken rest for a few minutes after grilling to allow the juices to redistribute and ensure a juicy and tender chicken.
- Experiment with different cuts: Try grilling different cuts of chicken to find your favourite. Some cuts may require longer cooking times than others, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Seasoning Used for Grilling Chicken
Any spice can be seasoned according to your taste. This recipe does not have a specific spice mixture. Here are the ingredients we used
- Powdered chilli
- Powder of coriander
- Turmeric powder
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Lemon juice
Variations in Spices
Other spices such as cayenne pepper and fresh ground pepper can be used, as well as garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme. You can also add ready-made grilled spices and sauces to the marinade.
What are the best ways to grill chicken at home?
You don’t necessarily need a huge chicken grilling machine as you see in restaurants. Grilling chicken on the stovetop is the best and easiest way to cook it.
How to Season Chicken Before Grilling?
Seasoning chicken before grilling is important to ensure it’s flavorful and delicious. Here are some tips on how to season the chicken before grilling:
- Start with a dry chicken: Before seasoning, dry the chicken with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. This will help the seasoning stick to the chicken better.
- Use a marinade: Marinades can add flavour and help tenderize the chicken. The Popular marinade ingredients include olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and herbs such as thyme or rosemary. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes before grilling for the best results.
- Rub with spices: Dry rubs can add flavour to the chicken before grilling. Mix your favourite spices, such as paprika, chilli powder, cumin, or garlic powder, and rub them onto the chicken. Let the chicken sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Add salt and pepper: Don’t forget to season the chicken with salt and pepper. These basic seasonings can enhance the flavour of the chicken and help bring out its natural taste.
- Use a brine: A brine can help keep chicken moist during grilling. Mix salt, sugar, and water in a bowl and submerge the chicken in the brine for several hours before grilling.
Note: Remember to adjust the seasoning to your taste preferences and experiment with different combinations of spices and herbs to find your favourite flavour profile. Properly seasoned chicken can make a huge difference in the final taste of your grilled chicken.
Let’s See How Easy and Simple It Is to Prepare Grilled Chicken With Step-By-Step Preparation
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to prepare grilled chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Whisk together olive oil, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and pour the marinade. Use your hands to evenly coat the chicken with the marinade.
- Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Serve the grilled chicken with lemon wedges (optional) and your favourite sides.
Grilled chicken is a healthy and delicious option for any meal. With this recipe, you can easily prepare flavorful grilled chicken with just a few ingredients and simple steps. Enjoy!
How to Serve Grilled Chicken?
Grilled chicken can be served in many different ways, depending on your preference and the occasion. Here are a few suggestions for serving grilled chicken:
- As a main course: Grilled chicken is often served as the main course for a meal. You can serve it with a side of vegetables, rice, or salad. You can also slice and serve the chicken in a sandwich or wrap.
- With a dipping sauce: Grilled chicken can be served with various dipping sauces, such as barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard, or salsa.
- On a salad: Grilled chicken is a great addition to a salad. You can chop or slice the chicken and add it to a bed of greens and other vegetables, nuts, and fruits.
- In a pasta dish: Grilled chicken can be added to various pasta dishes, such as fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti carbonara, or pasta primavera.
- On skewers: Grilled chicken can be skewered with vegetables and served as a kabob. This is a great option for a party or gathering.
Easy and Simple Grilled Chicken/How to Make Grilled Chicken?
Preparing grilled chicken in the easiest way possible. All you have to do is to follow the simple steps below:
Note – The following recipe can be a good fit for gym-oriented people who want to keep the protein in grilled chicken as much as possible.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Mix the olive oil, garlic powder, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Brush the mixture onto both sides of each chicken breast.
- Place the chicken breasts on the preheated grill and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through (the internal temperature should reach 165°F).
- Once done, remove from the grill and rest for a few minutes before serving.
That’s it! Enjoy! This easy grilled chicken recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or weekend BBQ with friends and family.
Nutrition of grilled chicken
Grilled chicken is a great source of lean protein and provides several essential nutrients. Here are some of the key nutrition facts about grilled chicken:
- Protein: Grilled chicken is a good source of high-quality protein, which is important for building and repairing muscles, bones, and other tissues. A 3-ounce serving of grilled chicken breast provides about 26 grams of protein.
- Vitamin B-6: Grilled chicken is a good source of vitamin B-6, which is important for brain function, immune system health, and red blood cell production.
- Phosphorus: Grilled chicken is also a good source of phosphorus, which is important for strong bones and teeth, energy production, and cell growth and repair.
- Selenium: Grilled chicken is a good source of selenium, a mineral with antioxidant properties and is important for immune system function and thyroid health.
- Niacin: Grilled chicken contains niacin, which is important for maintaining healthy skin, nerves, and digestion.
When preparing grilled chicken, it is important to choose lean cuts of chicken, remove the skin, and use healthy cooking methods, such as grilling or baking, to minimize added fat and calories. Pair grilled chicken with various colourful vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats to create a balanced and nutritious meal.
Grilling chicken in the microwave is an easy and convenient way to prepare delicious grilled chicken and a great way to add flavour. When microwaving, the secret to having moist and succulent chicken is to have the correct temperature and time setting; too much heat can dry out the meat.
With a little practice, you can easily master grilling chicken in the microwave with no fuss! Whether you are cooking for yourself or your family, this grilling method will yield tasty and tender results each time.